Tuesday, June 26, 2007

'Advaitam' - oh! boy what a topic.

"Advaitam" = No dvaitam = No second/without second. But then so many of us know so much about Advaitam that you do not need a person like me (whose knowledge of sanskrit is limited to a few verses he memorized) to explain its meaning. Go to any spirutual community and you will find "vedantins" or "advaitins", I apoligize if I got those names wrong, discussing it left and right and where the observer is seen with his mouth open, mosquitoes flying around, scratching his head, wondering what the hell is being discussed. As a great yogi (who did tapas and is self-realized and whom I had the great fortune of meeting) once said, "these days everyone is in a hurry to become a guru (teacher/master), just like any other field so also in spitutuality, that they do not have the time to be a shisya (disciple)." Then what the hell am I doing here. I guess the same, trying to play a guru. Hm!! Man, I am not as smart as I think I am, just as dumb as others.


However, the reason I am doing this is to record the thoughts that are going around [damn! just saw one fly away and I did not grasp it yet; hm! I know and I am sorry for these deviations and aimless ramblings (dont blame me for trying to make u laugh althought the jokes stink)], and wanted to do it in a public medium where if it helps someone then it has served its purpose and if it does not "blame it on the information technology" and I do hope it does not add to the confusion that already exists and most importantly I am doing it because I have the great fortune to have a self-realized avadhoota as my guru and who because of his infinite love gave me the "advaita anubhavam" i.e., "swaswaroopaanubhuthi/anubhavam" and if the words that follow does not clarify advaitam and advaitanubhavam/anubhuthi then I am solely to blame for my inability to transcribe the anubhuthi into correct words.


There, the legal department is happy with the above words and assure me that I have nothing to worry but I wonder if that solely responsible stuff is really necessary.


Have you ever gone to spirutual communities and have found people debating left and right, proposing explanations, 'vadam-prativadam' (argument and counterargument), and you are left wondering what the hell is happening! I have enrolled into several communities and found threads extending into thousands of messages where the original question is lost somewhere and the latest message and the original question does not have a link and if by any chance you happen to answer or extend the original question ..........bang...... appears a message saying "Intruder alert, trespasser, etc", and that they have extensively discussed the extension or the answer proposed and hence, no point in repeating it and you think what the hell? If they have discussed everything then why are they still discussing.


The object of any discussion is to clarify something and the object of any spirutal discussion is to give spirutual experience and that of advaita discussion is to give advaitanubhavam. All enlighterned persons are called enlightened only because of this anubhavam and as they speak with this anubhuthi. Discussions should lead the person discussing to question 'why discuss'. silence is the anubhavam. A Monk in RKM once wrote that one of the biggest pitfalls for any student of spirutualism is the pride that he knows something which will usually be seen when he discusses it with a new entrant to the path. That monk wrote that every aspirant should guard himself/herself against it. Discussion only leads to intellectual knowledge. It is when the discusser (dont know if such a word exists) realizes the futility of discussion and sits calmly then will he perceive the calmness that is inherent in him, that is his tatvam (nature) and will realize the presence of silence and that it has always been present.

Thank you for reading.

No comments: